Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Speed Freak

Around 10:30 this morning, out of boredom, I decided to try the infamous coffee bean and see how my body would respond. Around 5 minutes after ingestion of said beverage, my legs --already normally prone to a constant state of movement-- began to go into overdrive as if prepping for the biggest b-boy battle of the year. As I sat at my desk, my fingers twitched at the keyboard, typing explanations to friends on iChat as to why my thoughts were racing faster than the G.W. Bush approval rating rollercoaster (coming this year to Disney). Comically enough, I had no urge to do work at all, the opposite of what coffee drinkers supposedly hope to achieve with their AM consumption of this dangerous liquid.

There's a reason I don't drink caffeinated coffee. I'm already an incredibly hyper person, and the addition of crack (I mean coffee) to that mix just spells nervous energy and crazylegs wrapped into a tightly strung ball of muscles.

As I now begin to come down from my ridiculous coffee "high", I can definitely see why people choose to drink it in the mornings. While I'm quite sure I receive the most extreme effects of coffee --an incredible boost of energy for a much shorter period than normal-- I can understand how coffee's extra push can get many through the day. However, I can also see how people develop a serious addiction to the diabolical little bean. The draw of that additional get-up-and-go with little consequence could be irresistible for many. I just know I won't be in that number. Unless I get really bored.

No comments: